A therapeutic diet, as the name suggests, is a diet that is used as a therapy to treat many health conditions such as diabetes, blood pressure, heart diseases etc. It is an eating plan designed by nutritionists and doctors, in which by adding or subtracting certain food items to/from your diet the risks and consequences of certain health disorders are reduced. There are many types of therapeutic diets that can be adopted to fight various health issues.
1. Low Cholesterol Diet: It is common knowledge that for a healthy heart a low cholesterol diet is the best bet. In this diet foods which contain high amounts of saturated fats are avoided.
2. Diabetic Diets: A diet to manage diabetes looks into cutting down the consumption of foods containing sugar content. It also works on monitoring the intake of refined carbohydrates which can dangerously raise blood sugar levels.
3. Gluten-free Diet: This diet aims at treating the celiac disease which is a genetically induced disorder in which the small intestine is hyperactive to gluten. Hence, the diet introduces gluten-free foods in the meals, usually it is all about washing off all wheat products from ones diet.
4. DASH Diet: Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension is used for the treatment of high blood pressure. The diet focuses on reducing the consumption of sodium and balancing it with the intake of higher amounts of magnesium, calcium and potassium.
5. High-Protein Diet: This particular diet is prescribed as a prenatal or post natal diet; it is also recommended to patients with infections, or with acute burns. A high-protein diet also helps deal with the problem of hampered growth in young kids. In this foods rich in proteins is made a part of all meals.
There are many other therapeutic diets one could opt for after consulting with an expert nutritionist to manage health issues like arthritis, thyroid, PCOS etc. With your doctor’s advice and a sincere efforts in following these diets diligently can help remove many of the irksome health disorders you’ve been battling from long. So do consider them seriously.